Claims You can Make after a Car Accident

By on 8-06-2015 in Car Accidents

Filing for an insurance claim after a car accident can be tricky and complicated. It is always important to have documents and reports that you could use to back up your claim, as each circumstance can be different. However, even with the differences in circumstance, the process by which insurance claims go will be pretty much the same for everyone. For many Des Moines car accident attorneys, these processes and proof are the baseline for whether a compensation (for medical expenses, damaged property, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc) will be given or not.

There are generally two types of insurance claims that a claimant can file: a first party and third party claim. The type of insurance claim you will file will rely on who caused the accident, the type of accident, and the scope of the insurance coverage that the involved parties have. First party claims are the type you file to your own insurance company, such as when you were the one who caused the accident. Third-party claims, on the other hand, are the type that you file to the other party’s insurance provider. Third-party insurance claims are the most common ones, since it can be used any type of accident that is caused by another person or business.

It is imperative that the accident should be reported to the insurance company as soon as possible, and no later than 24 hours after the accident. You will have the responsibility of contacting the at-fault person’s insurance provider, and provide details of the accident and the magnitude of damage and injury that it caused. As it says on the website of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, car accidents can lead to serious or even life-threatening injuries. Filing an injury claim would be one way to have financial help after the accident. After all the documents and evidence is given and presented to the insurance provider, a settlement check will then be provided.